Oh the tricky places they've put the old commands in EX. I'm so lost in navigating around the new EX and students are stumbling around....having learned some of the basics during their 6th grade experience. We are truely co-learners in the truest sense of the idea.
It's great when the numbers are small. But when I'm faced with a class of 28 and a poor classroom layout. Frankly on those days in 8th hour, I could cry somedays. I can't clone myself and I do a terrible job of meeting their needs. I swear that every single student is saying "Mrs. Ratzel" at least 200 times in the 43 minutes. I'm faced with either giving them such a low level exercise that they simply copy instructions or I can help them enough.
So I clearly need to restructure how I design this creative project in the future. I think rather than build this creative project as such a large---do or die kind of thing----I will need to chunk it. By doing that I can do more demos and they can work on those demos. Possibly as groups. I was thinking I could do one as a demo, then one as a triad group and then one as an individual. When we had completed 4 or 5 of those chunks, THEN I could assign this creative project.
Also I would like to redefine the creative project. Right now the only types of creative projects I am seeing are storybooks. While I like storybooks, I think there are so many other possibilities.
That's where my demonstrations have fallen short. I needed to present other options for them to see. If had shown more examples of gaming and of simulations, I think I would have some of those. When I did Squeak creative projects, I had many other kinds of projects that showed a wider applications of their programming talents. These projects fall short of creativity.